Saturday, June 8, 2013

Awkward Times Call For Awkward Measures

I went to a wedding reception yesterday.  It was for one of my good friends from high school. It was in a backyard and it was beautiful.  It was also the first time I saw my ex-boyfriend for the first time since I got married and he got engaged.  And what an adventure it was.

BACKGROUND: I dated this guy for a long time.  Like four years.  Then he went on a mission.  I planned on waiting for him. (Ha.) Eight months before he came home, I met my now husband.  Missionary came home, I stopped seeing my husband.  After a few months I realized I wasn't sure if I felt the same as before his mission and the missionary claimed he also wanted to try dating others.  Then he pretty much fell off the face of the planet.  I again started dating my husband and then got engaged.  Missionary decides to appear again in my life.  I tell him I've moved on and am getting married.  Missionary get engaged to someone else two months later.  The end.

Flash forward to yesterday.  I come to the reception and right when I walk into the backyard, there's the ex-missionary boyfriend's fiance and his sister.  They see me, instantly start the giggles/whispers/stare as much as you possibly can phase that lasts all night long.  Missionary (or so his name shall now be) sees me one time and heads inside the house. And doesn't come back outside the entire time I'm there.  Mind you I stayed for an hour and a half just to see if he would come out.  Nope, he didn't.

 Flash forward again to an hour and a half after I enter the reception.  Missionary's fiance and sister are still in their whispery phase.  Missionary is still hiding in the house.  So, I decide I've had enough. At this point I was sick of being the awkward person being talked about, so I decided to join in the talk.  I went right up to the fiance and sister and said hello to the sister and introduced myself to the fiance.  They seemed really caught off guard.  But I was nice.  I said congrats and that I was sick of avoiding this awkward situation so I wanted to say hi and let you know I was really happy for you.  Seemed like a nice, honest conversation both ways.

A few seconds after I walk away, the fiance and sister run inside the house (past a giant window that everyone can see through...duh) right to the missionary and majorly freak out.  I don't know.  I guess I'm scary or something.

With all the history I had with Missionary, it was a little disappointing to me that he couldn't face me at all.  I would have loved to tell him congratulations on getting engaged and that I was happy for him.  Kind of a full closure kind of conversation you have to have with someone who you were that close with.  But maybe he wasn't ready for that kind of thing.  Kind of sad in my own opinion because he is supposed to be happily engaged now so he shouldn't be scared of me.  I always wondered how it was going to be when I finally saw him again someday, but I have to say, I didn't see it playing out quite like this.  But it is what it is and I'm glad I got that inital "first sighting" out of the way.  Now my book with him is totally closed and over with.

When I was figuring out life between Missionary and my husband, it seemed to me that each time I saw my husband, he really showed me how much of a better fit he was for me.  And each time I saw Missionary, it seemed as though we grew more and more apart.  Yesterday was just another way of proving to me that my husband is SO the right man for me.  I love him in every single way, shape and form!  He thinks like me, he acts like me, we have the same beliefs and views on life, and we definitely know when it's appropriate to be silly and when to be mature.  Yesterday was three months since we've been married.  And it's been the best three months of my life so far! We've been so blessed with so many things, things we would have never imagined at this point.  We are the luckiest newlyweds around.  And I'm the luckiest wife around.

2 comments:

  1. bahaha! oh dear. I'm looking forward to moving out of state because I feel like a lot of people stick around Utah/Murray and working at a hospital it is inevitable you'll run into someone you don't want to (ex, ex's family, mean girl from high school, teachers, etc.) haha SO awkward. Can't believe adults act like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lacy, it's soo true. Six months at my job and I've already taken care of many people from high school who are having babies and it's totally awkward! Especially to do the private stuff like checking their bleeding after they deliver. Totally weird.

    ReplyDelete